The Year in American Soccer – 1950

1950 World Cup

The United States returned to the World Cup finals for the first time since 1934. Although they failed to advance from pool play, this tournament provided “The shot heard around the world” where the US stunned England in an incredible upset victory, ruining England’s first foray into the world’s ultimate championship. The United States benefited from the complacency showed by their opponents, expected little from them and were preoccupied with other opponents. Although the rest of the USA’s World Cup performance consisted of the same gloomy business as usual, they did get their act together for that one game which still stands as one of the most amazing upsets in World Cup history.

The US squad had barely squeaked through qualifying in 1949. They were soundly defeated in their two games against Mexico, but managed a 1-1 draw and a 5-2 win against Cuba, enough for them to qualify. The World Cup field was missing several teams who skipped the tournament for various reasons. Austria and Czechoslovakia felt their teams needed more experience. Hungary & the Soviet Union refused to play against Western nations. France refused to substitute for Turkey, and West Germany had not yet been readmitted to FIFA. Argentina, Peru and Ecuador had pulled out for their own reasons. On a more positive note, the British Nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland) finally joined FIFA, and England made their long awaited debut in the World Cup. England came in as the favorites, having built an impressive record in recent international competition.

Many of the players chosen by the selection committee for the final roster had played major roles in their qualifying round, including Walter Bahr, Gino Pariani, Harry Keough, Frank Borghi, Benny McLaughlin, Frank Wallace, John Souza and Charlie Colombo. Benny McLaughlin was unable to play due to conflicts with his job and his upcoming marriage. Another prominent player, Jack Hynes was left off the team after some critical comments about the USSFA selection process, said in confidence, were published in a New York Newspaper. The newcomers to the squad included Ed McIlvenny, Ed Souza, Joe Maca, Joe Gaetjens, Robert Annis, Geoff Coombes, Adam Wolanin, and backup goalkeeper Gino Gardassanich of Chicago. All but three players were native-born Americans, although some controversy arose over the pedigree of those other three. Although they wouldn’t have qualified under current rules, FIFA ultimately ruled that their appearance for the US was within the rules as they existed at the time. Walter Giesler, president of the USSFA served as team manager, and Bill Jeffrey was named coach.

The team was able to get adequate training time, and the players, many part-timers who also held regular jobs, took to the training regimen with gusto. On the day before leaving for Brazil, they put on a magnificent performance, holding the touring All-England team (The English FA XI) to a single goal; that team had outscored their opponents 66-13 during the nine games of their just completed Canadian tour. This made up for a somewhat shakier performance against Besiktas of Turkey who shut them out 5-0. Then it was off to Brazil.

The thirteen teams of the Finals were divided into four groups; the 2nd group consisted of the United States, Spain, England, and Chile. This would be no easy task for the Americans, with only the top team advancing. England got off to a shaky start, beating Chile 2-0 in a slackful performance. The US meanwhile was pitted against a powerful Spanish team on June 25 at Curitiba. After holding on against intense pressure for 15 minutes, the US took the lead courtesy of Gino Pariani, who took a cross from the right side just outside the penalty area. With fullbacks bearing down on him, he did not look for passing opportunities; he took the ball on the roll and shot it long and low for the score. In a superb effort, the US held on, and were ten minutes away from an incredible upset when Charlie Colombo lost the ball, allowing Spain to cut in and score. After that, the American defense collapsed, and Spain scored twice in the last five minutes to take away a 3-1 victory. Although it was a heartbreaking loss, Spain had been expected to win in a rout, so the Americans could take some comfort in their better than expected performance.

This lead to THE game of the tournament as the US faced off against England at Belo Horizonte on June 29. England had taken it easy in the days leading up to the match, Not used to the cramped locker facilities, they changed in their hotel rooms, and left several top players off the squad, saving them for the later rounds. The US maintained their professional demeanor in the face of ridicule from the local press, and played to win. Shortly after kickoff, England took a shot that sailed over the cross bar, with players strolling back laughing, no doubt envisioning the many goals to come. But the US defensive line held on grimly after numerous long English shots failed to find the net. The US halfbacks were playing a good game, generally winning the fights for the ball on close plays. Gradually the crowd of 10,500+ realized the Americans were making a true game out of it.

The big play came in the 37th minute as Ed McIlvenny directed a throw-in to Walter Bahr, who took it at the 35 yard mark and carried it for ten yards, taking a shot that angled forward the left side of the net. Goalkeeper Bert Williams moved over to make the save, but Joe Gaetjens dove for the ball, heading it into the opposite corner of the net, catching Williams completely off guard. Although the British press tried to belittle the goal in their reports, it was clearly no mistake or accident. England had a great deal of time to equalize, but they failed to do so. The US hung on with caution and determination, frustrating several plays during the second half. On another occasion he was rugby-tackled by Charlie Colombo 35 yards out. Later, Frank Borghi made a terrific save off of a subsequent free kick which was headed by Jimmy Mullen. England tried player switches, but nothing worked, and as they grew increasingly frustrated, their offensive plan degenerated into hopeless scoring attempts. Late in the game, John Souza did a little stalling by dribbling around half a dozen English players. Later in the game, Frank Wallace took a pass from Pariani while in excellent scoring position, but lost the ball to the goalkeeper. Nevertheless, the US hung on for the 1-0 victory. The strongest team in the world had been defeated by a side of semi-professionals from a country that some didn’t even expect to be able to field a side of 11 players.

Predictably many people claimed that England lost, rather than the US having won. But that was not enough to boost England, who lost to Spain 1-0 in their third game, leading to their ignoble early exit. Unfortunately, the US dream came to an end on the same day, July 2, a thousand miles away in Recife. The US was slow to start, quickly falling behind 2-0, but holding on for the rest of the first half. They surged after the break, with goals by Frank Wallace and Joe Maca tying the game within five minutes. But then the 110 degree heat began to beat down the Americans, and four minutes later, Chile pulled ahead 3-2 and held on for the win, eliminating the United States. This match was marked by a running feud between Charlie Colombo and Chile’s George Robledo. Robledo would taunt Colombo with his dribbling skills, challenging Charlie to take the ball from him. Colombo took the bait to the extent that his concentration was affected, and he was effectively taken out of the game. Spain advanced to the final four along with Brazil, Sweden and Uruguay. The final, between Brazil and Uruguay was held before a crowd officially listed as 199,954 (although possibly more), the largest crowd to this day ever to watch a soccer game. But the home team was stunned as Uruguay took the cup 2-1.

Although the US did not advance beyond pool play, this was their best performance since 1930, and the upset over England would go down as one of the most significant games in US history, and in World Cup history as well. Unfortunately, the USSFA was slow to capitalize on their success with a return match. In 1952, the U.S. finally traveled to the British Isles for friendlies with Scotland and Ireland, but by then, the fervor had long passed.

The American Soccer League

The ASL was blessed by fair weather this year, allowing the season to be completed by late February. The Philadelphia Nationals became the third team to win two consecutive league titles. They took the lead early in the season and never looked back, taking the regular season title by 6 points. Celtic took 2nd place a bare point ahead of the New York Americans with Brooklyn Hakoah and Kearny Scots close behind. Brooklyn Hakoah was the most improved team going from 9th to fourth places, but Hispano and Brookhattan both faltered badly into the lower depths of the standings. Kearny Scots and Kearny Irish moved to the new Washington Oval, at the intersection of Woodland Ave. & Bellgrove Drive, just a block from both of their club headquarters. This spot, a former city playground had been frequented by such former greats as Shamus O’Brien and Archie Stark during their days of greatness.

There was a notable influx of new talent this season, including Peruvian Enrique Estra, who had played in Cuba the previous season, and was the toughest played the NY Americans faced on their tour down there. He went to Brookhattan. Johnny Gallagher, an inside forward from Scotland joined the NY Americans. Ed Ruddy took over the left fullback slut for Kearny Irish. In a major trade, John “Frenchy” Boulos went from Hispano to Hakoah for Tor Osmundsen and other considerations.

The league’s top goal scorer was Joe Gaetjens, who had scored the famous goal against England in the World Cup, showing that that was no fluke. All nine clubs entered the US Open Cup competition, with the Philadelphia Nationals advancing to the Eastern finals where they were beaten by a one-goal margin by Fall River Ponta Delgada in a 2 leg series. An early entry in the “Americans abroad” archive: Ed McIlvenny, start of the 1950 World Cup, was purchased by Manchester City after their US tour. As usual, the tours by European clubs provided the highlights of the ASL season, highlighted by a jaunt by Manchester United (see below).

                         Final League Standings, 1949-50

                              G    W   T   L   GF  GA  PTS
Philadelphia Nationals        16  12   1   3   50  31   25
Kearny Celtic                 16   8   3   5   37  32   19
New York Americans            16   6   6   4   31  27   18
Brooklyn Hakoah               16   7   2   7   31  35   16
Kearny Scots                  16   4   7   5   36  35   15
Philadelphia Americans        14   4   5   5   27  31   13
Trenton Americans             15   4   3   8   36  44   11
Brooklyn Hispano              14   3   5   6   26  32   11
Brookhattan                   15   3   4   8   31  38   10

LEAGUE CHAMPION:  Philadelphia Nationals

LEADING SCORERS (Regular Season) 
Joe Gaetjens, Brookhattan      18
Dick Roberts, Kearney Scots    17
Len Owen, NY Nationals         15
Nick Kropfelder, NY Americans  15

Most Valuable Player:  Joe Maca, Brooklyn Hispano

                                 Lewis Cup

Brooklyn Hispano               4   4   0   1    9   8    8
Philadelphia Nationals         4   3   0   1   13   7    6
New York Americans             4   3   0   1    8   4    6
Kearny Celtic                  4   2   0   2    8   7    4
Brooklyn Hakoah                4   2   0   3    8  10    4
Philadelphia Americans         4   1   0   3    8   9    2
Kearny Scots                   4   1   0   3    5  10    2
Brookhattan                    4   1   0   4    5   9    1

LEWIS CUP WINNER:  New York Americans defeated Philadelphia Nationals, 2-1, 2-2.
DUFFY CUP Winner: (NYC Metropolitan tournament): New York Americans.

National Soccer League (Chicago)

The Polish Eagles dominated the NSL this season, winning the regular season title by 4 points, and taking the Peel Cup as Illinois State champion in convincing fashion. Following close behind the Eagles were Slovaks and Sparta who duked it out for 2nd place, Slovaks finally taking the honor by 1 point. Milwaukee Tigers managed a lone victory, and were relegated to the First Division. Ukrainian Lions took top honors in the First Division.

The Indoor league expanded to 17 teams which were divided into two divisions, with promotion and relegation for the top and bottom two teams respectively. As in the outdoor season, Eagles took the indoor title, although it was a close race to the finish, and their ultimate victory was actually the result of successful protests by Vikings and Schwaben over the use of unregistered players by their opponents. As a result, Slovaks lost two points, allowing Eagles to grab the title 21 points to 20, despite trailing in victories 8 to 10.

        Final League Standings, Major Division, 1950

                 GP   W   L   T   Pts
Polish Eagles    14  11   2   1   23
Slovaks          14   9   4   1   19
Sparta           14   7   3   4   18
Hansa            14   7   5   2   16
Schwaben         14   5   6   2   12
Vikings          14   4   6   2   12
Swedes           14   4  10   0    8
Milwaukee Tigers 14   1  12   0    2

League champion:  Polish Eagles
PEEL CUP WINNER:  Polish Eagles defeated Sparta 4-0.

German-American Soccer League (New York)

The German-American League’s 24th season saw a changing of the guard, as Eintracht knocked three-time champion Elizabeth off the throne. Eintracht took an early lead, and held it throughout. The major battle was actually in the lower echelons of the league as Swiss, Brooklyn and German-American battled to stay out of last place and relegation. German-Americans finally gave up the fight, and took their 1-12-5 record down to the Premier division, to be replaced by Premier champion Hoboken.

New York and Hota took 2nd and 3rd place with four teams bunched up closely behind. Van Steen of Hota won the MVP award. The GASL did not made an impact at the US Open Cup this year, but Eintracht did advance to the Eastern Final of the National Amateur Cup before falling to Ponta Delgada.

       Final League Standings, Major Division, 1950

                  GP  W  L  T PTS
Eintracht         18 15  2  1  31
New York          18 10  3  5  25
Hota              18 10  7  1  21
Newark            18  7  6  5  19
German-Hungarian  18  7  6  5  19
Elizabeth         17  8  7  2  18
Pfaelzer          18  7  9  2  16
Swiss             18  4 10  4  12
Brooklyn          17  3 10  4  10
German-American   18  1 12  5   7

BIG TEN (MAJOR DIVISION) CHAMPION:  Eintracht SC (18-15-2-1-31)
PREMIER DIVISION CHAMPION:  Hoboken (20-17-2-1-35)
A Division Champion:  West New York (12-8-0-4-20)
B Division Champion:  German-Hungarian (12-12-0-0-24)
1948-49 All-Star Game (at Randalls Island, NYC)  New York 2, New Jersey 1

Other Amateur League and Cup Champions

Southern New England Association Senior Cup: Young Nationals (Fall River)
National Soccer League of New England: Lusitano (7-6-0-1-20-9-13)
Fall River District League: Young Nationals (14-11-1-2-42-20-34) New Bedford City Soccer League: Panther (12-9-1-2-30-16-20)
Dr. Manning Challenge Cup (New York State): New York Reserves
New York Junior State Challenge Cup: New York
Eastern District League (NYC): Ukrainian
National Soccer League of New York:Paterson; League Cup: Yonkers
Metropolitan League: Premier Division: Long Island Rangers; First Division: Mola; Metropolitan Challenge Cup: Long Island Rangers
New Jersey State Cup: Paterson-Dovers
William Palmer Memorial Cup (Philly): Fairhill SC; Kensington Blue Bells
Philadelphia Soccer League: Viola (2nd half and overall); Phoenix (1st half)
West Penn Challenge Cup: Harmarville
Keystone League (Western Penn): Morgan (14-12-2-0-24)
Allegheny Valley League (Western Penn): Acmetonia (14-12-2-0-24) Washington County League (Western Penn): Gallatin (21-17-1-3-37) defeated Dunlevy in playoffs 1-2, 2-0, 3-1.
Rowland Cup – Maryland State: Our Lady of Pompeii; Stewart Cup: Pompei
American Soccer League of Cleveland Heights Mannorchor (14-12-1-1-25)
Ohio State Cup: Bartunek Clothes defeated Greenhut Jewelers in 2 games.
Seattle Soccer League: Matheny & Bacon
St. Louis Major League: Simpkins
St. Louis Municipal League:Spanish-Americans
Dallas Soccer League: Ralph J. Mulhouser (6-5-0-1-11)
Texas State Association – Northern Division : San Houstons (3-3-0-0-6)
Metropolitan Soccer League (Los Angeles): Los Angeles Scots (defeated Pan Americans in playoff).
California (Southern) State Cup: Los Angeles Scots defeated Victoria 4-3. City Cup: Maygars
California (Northern) State Cup: Rovers; John O. Belis Perpetual Trophy: San Francisco A.C.
San Francisco Football League: Verdi Club (14-9-3-2-43-24-20)
Sacramento Soccer League: Mexico City (first round); Broadway Gardens (second round)
Washington State Cup: Acme-Tree

The US National Team

The highlight of this year was the U.S. qualifying for the 1950 World Cup by defeating Cuba in Mexico City. The U.S., although disappointed by third and second place finishes in the North American Confederation Cups of 1947 and 1949 respectively, qualified for the World Cup by virtue of its second round finish in the NAC of 1949. The team was managed by Bill Jeffrey of Penn State (whose 30 year record was unparalleled in collegiate soccer). The national team did not play any other games in 1950 outside of those of the 1950 World Cup (see World Cup 1950 above).

               USA National team results, full internationals
    1950 Totals:  1W,  0D,  2L
Jul 02 50  L 2-5  Chile               8,501  Recife, Brazil (WC'50)
               Pariani, Souza
Jun 29 50  W 1-0  England            10,151  Belo Horizonte, Brazil (WC'50)
Jun 25 50  L 1-3  Spain               9,511  Curitiba, Brazil (WC'50)

Manchester United Tour

One significant highlight in mid 20th century US soccer history was the 1950 tour of the United States by Manchester United, one of the most storied teams of the English Football Association. The tour even outdid the groundbreaking tour by Liverpool FC two years previously. Matt Busby brought a stellar lineup of players, and the fans came out in droves across the nation for this rare chance to see a world class football club in their own hometowns. Manchester United, known as “The Wonder Boys” by English scribes of the day, was amassing an impressive record since the resumption of league play after World War II. Having finished 2nd in the League for three consecutive seasons, Man U was leading the First Division and looked on course to capturing the league title for 1950.

The team launched its tour on May 10, 1950 in Toronto, finishing at Chicago on June 20. Facing mostly all-star teams from the various cities, Man U took away an 8-2-2 record, falling only to Jonkopping of Sweden and the English FA XI, a touring team of top English stars who were not playing in the World Cup. Jimmy Downie took scoring honors with 12 goals, followed by John Rowley with 10 and Charles Mitten with 8. This was considerably more than the 20 goals scored by the opposition for the entire tour. The tour was highlighted by a pair of “Dream Doubleheaders” on June 9 and 11 involving Manchester United, Jonkopping (Sweden), Besiktas F.C. (Turkey) and the ASL All-Stars.

United opened the tour in Toronto on May 10, against an all-star team of Canadian National Soccer League players. Man U jumped to a 4-0 lead by halftime, with goals by Stan Pearson, Henry Cockburn and a pair by John Downie. Jack Rowley extended the score to 5-0 in the 2nd half for the shutout. Four days later, nearly 10,000 fans turned out at Triboro Stadium on Randalls Island, NYC for their US opener. They were pitted against an all-star squad representing the major New York amateur leagues and the NYC teams of the American Soccer League. They romped decisively 9-2, with Downie contributing 4 goals. Three days later, the New England All-Stars nearly turned the tables, holding United to two goals, but succumbing to a shutout nevertheless.

Manchester returned to Randalls Island four days later to take part in an All-Star doubleheader arranged by the American Soccer League as a capstone to their successful 1950 season. The ASL selected a super-sized all-star squad (split into two teams), with the New York City-based team, headed by future Hall of Famers Joe Maca, Joe Gaetjens, Jack Hynes and Lloyd Monsen, matched up against Betsikas F.C. of Turkey in the opener. Joe Gaetjens scored a hat trick for the ASL Stars, but it was not enough to keep them losing 5-3. The Kearny/Philadelphia based All-Stars, headed by future Hall of Famers Jack McIlvenny, Walter Bahr, Benny McLaughlin and Nick Kropfelder, were up to the challenge for this one. After Jack Rowley opened scoring for United, Paul Campbell of the Kearny Scots equalized for the All-Stars, and Art Scheppel put them ahead 2-1. Despite hammering the goal, United could not salvage a tie until the 44th minute of the 2nd half, courtesy of John Aston, but still the crowd of 13,147 went home happy.

It was then off to Public Schools Stadium at St. Louis, MO for a battle (almost) of the national champions. Simpkins-Ford SC was the defending US Open Cup champion, and Manchester United was well on course to winning the English league title. But The US and England were in completely different leagues when it came to skill, and the crowd of 7,700 sensed it early. At the five minute mark, Man U’s John Downie broke away onto a solo run and finished with a rifle-shot past goalkeeper Frank Borghi. Borghi regrouped, and fought off scoring attempts by Rowley, Mitten and Delaney. But five minutes before the half, Pearson took a shot from outside the penalty area and the aim was true. Shortly thereafter, took a beautiful pass from Jim Delaney and notched his second goal. According to witness Hap Meyer, United’s goalkeeper could have brought a rocking chair as supplementary equipment for all the work he was called upon to do. Things didn’t get any better for Simpkins in the 2nd half. Downie completed his hat trick with a well aimed long shot, and Rowley took a Pearson pass and launched a foot high line drive into the back net, making it 5-0. Simpkins made two weak scoring kicks, but both sailed well wide. Not a good day for St. Louis, but a 5-0 margin in this battle between the US champion and the (soon to be) English champion was a fair reflection of the vast gulf between soccer in the two countries at this time. Ironically, Simpkins’ manager, Joe Numi, sensing a softening of United as they struggled in New York, complained vociferously, saying that he wanted Manchester United to be in top form for their game in St. Louis. Apparently, he got his wish.

Arriving on the West Coast, United started off May 31 with an easy romp over a select team of Los Angeles’s top players. Ahead 6-1 at the half, they eased up for the final 45 minutes, and cruised to a 7-1 victory before spending a few days of LA sightseeing. Things were tougher going in their June 4 match against Atlas FC of Mexico. Before an enthusiastic crowd of 15,000, United had their hands full with a tenacious squad that came from behind to tie the game three times. This was a rough match, with fisticuffs in the 2nd half. Man U looked to have it sewn up until a hand foul in the penalty area by right fullback John Carey. The penalty kick was taken by Edwin Cubero, and he found the net to give Atlas a 6-6 tie.

After a harrowing 2-1 victory in Quebec over the Montreal All-Stars, Manchester United returned to New York City for the “International Dream Double Header” at the Polo Grounds, before a crowd of over 20,000. In the opening game, Besiktas of Turkey defeated the American Soccer League All-Stars 3-1, and then Manchester United defeated Sweden’s top amateur team, Jonkopping, 4-0, off of a pair by Charles Mitten, and single goals by Bogan and Pearson. This was followed two days later by a 2-1 win over Besiktas at the new Washington Oval in Kearny New Jersey, goals courtesy of Cockburn and Rowley. In the nightcap of this second “Dream Doubleheader”, Jonkopping defeated the Kearny Scots/Irish combine 5-3.

The penultimate match of the tour was perhaps the most significant. In one of their final matches before heading off to represent the nation at the 1950 World Cup, the English FA XI were matched up against Manchester United at Canadian National Exposition Sports Field in Toronto before a record Canadian soccer crowd of 24,809. In amazing display of the cream of the crop of English soccer talent, Boyer and Hagen, with Charles Mitten and John Rowley scoring for United.

In the final match, held at Hanson field, Chicago, 7,500 fans turned out to see Jonkopping of Sweden exact revenge for their defeat Manchester’s hands 11 days earlier. Jonkopping had been undefeated in their tour since that date, and they weren’t about to stop now. United kept up a relentless attach during the first half, but some excellent goaltending by Gote Stahl kept Manchester off the scoreboard. Jonkopping scored first, three minutes into the 2nd half, as Fred Anderson, their sturdy outside left, scored on a sharp-angle kick 15 yards from the net. Manchester United equalized 13 minutes later when inside right John Downie drove a 20 yard shot into the net off a mass from Mitten. At the 19 minute mark, the Swedes went ahead again, from a long shot by Kurt Svenson, who after a long and tenacious stalemate, was able to land a 15 yard shot with two minutes remaining to give Jonkopping a 4-2 victory.

Thus ended the tour. Among all of the many tours over the decades, Manchester United’s visit was certainly a shining moment and probably the most eagerly awaited and well attended tour to date.

Record: 8 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

Roster: Jack Aston, Jack Ball, Brian Birch, Ton Bogan, John Carey (Captain), Allenby Chilton, Henry Cockburn, Jack Crompton, Jimmy Delaney, John Downie, Tom Lowrie, Tom Lynn, Charles Mitten, Tom McNully, Stan Pearson, John Rowley, Jack Warner. Manager: Matt Busby.

5/10/50  Manchester United 5, National League All-Stars 0 (at Toronto, Ontario)
5/14/50  Manchester United 9, New York All-Stars 2 (at Randalls Island, NYC; att. est. 9,500)
5/17/50  Manchester United 2, New England All-Stars 0 (at Fall River, MA; att: 3,704)
5/21/50  Manchester United 2, Kearny-Philadelphia Stars 2 (at Randalls Island, NYC; att: 13,147)
5/25/50  Manchester United 5, Simpkins F.C. 0 (at St. Louis, MO; att 7,700)
5/31/50  Manchester United 7, Los Angeles "A" Stars 1 (at Los Angeles, CA; att. est. 5,000)
6/4/50   Manchester United 6, Atlas FC (Mexico) 6 (at Los Angeles, CA; att. 15,000)
6/7/50   Manchester United 2, Montreal All-Stars 1 (at Montreal, Que)
6/9/50   Manchester United 4, Jonkopping (Sweden) 0 (at Polo Grounds, New York; att. est. 21,000)
6/11/50  Manchester United 2, Besiktas F.C. (Turkey) 1 (at Kearny, NJ; est att. 6,500)
6/14/50  Manchester United 2, English FA XI 4 (at Toronto, Ontario; att. 24,809)
6/20/50  Manchester United 1, Jonkopping (Sweden) 3 (at Chicago, IL; att. 7,500)

Other International Tours

German-American League All-Stars to Germany: August 12 1950 through August 30 1950. Results: 0 wins, 1 draw, 7 losses.

Roster: Seppl Antretter, Eintracht; Walter Bardzinsky, Elizabeth; Fritz Blasser, New York; Efrain Chacurian, Swiss; Felix Goldstein, Hota; Herman Graesser, New York; John Healy, German-Hungarian; Henry Hummel, Elizabeth; Tony Laab, New York; Eddie Oakes, Eintracht; Leo Scherer, New York; Billy Sheppel, Newark; Eric Smerks, New York; Jack Young, Swiss. Bernard Ramsden, Player-Manager.

8/12/50  German-Americans 3, Hamburg 9
8/18/50  German-Americans 0, Werder Bremen 7
8/19/50  German-Americans 2, Union '06 4 (at Berlin)
8/23/50  German-Americans 2, Vf R 2 (at Mannheim)
8/23/50  German-Americans 1, Vf B 4 (at Stuttgart)
8/26/50  German-Americans 1 Vf B Aalen 4
8/27/50  German-Americans 0, Victoria 3 (at Aschassenburg
8/30/50  German-Americans 0, Fortuna Dusseldorf 3

Hamburg SC (Germany): May 7, 1950 through May 23, 1950. Record: 6 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses.

Roster: Edmunbd Adamkiewicz, Erich Ebelling, Hans Frahm, Werner Gorska, Werner Harden, Herbert Klette, Manfred Krueger, Hans Kubsch, Friederich Nieman, Joseph Posipal, Rolf Rohrberg, Wolfgang Seeger, Heinz Spundflasche, Heinz Trenkel, Walter Warning, Herbert Wojtkowiak. Coach: George Knoepfle; Manager: Paul Reyman.

5/7/50   Hamburg 4, German-American All-Stars 1 (at Randalls Island, NYC)
5/12/50  Hamburg 7, Rochester All-Stars 2 (at Rochester, NY)
5/14/50  Hamburg 10, Chicago All-Stars 0 (at Chicago, IL)
5/19/50  Hamburg 9, New Jersey All-Stars 1 (at Newark, NJ)
5/21/50  Hamburg 5, Philadelphia All-Stars 0 (at Philadelphia, PA)
5/23/50  Hamburg 9, Brooklyn All-Stars 2 (at Brooklyn, NY)

Besiktas FC (Turkey): May 21, 1950 through June 11, 1950. Results: 5 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.

Roster: Recep Akiner, Mehmet Atcilar, Feyzi Buyukyelvrim, Tenas Casis, Fahrt, Conserver, Levon Ekenyan, Bulent Esen, Kemel Gulcelik, Sukru Tosuncuk, Kemal Unlu, Yavug Ureten, Kamil Uzulme, Sevket Yorulmaz. Coach: Eric Keen.

5/21/50  Besiktas 5, New York Stars 3 (at Randalls Island, NYC)
5/24/50  Besiktas 1, New England Stars 1 (at Fall River, MA)
5/28/50  Besiktas 5, Chicago Stars 2 (at Chicago, IL)
5/31/50  Besiktas 5, U.S. Stars 0 (at St. Louis, MO)
6/6/50   Besiktas 7, Philadelphia Stars 1 (at Philadelphia, PA)
6/9/50   Besiktas 3, American League Stars 1 (at Polo Grounds, NYC)
6/11/50  Besiktas 1, Manchester United 2 (at Kearny, NJ)

Atlas F.C. (Mexico): May 31, 1950 through June 18, 1950. Results: 3 wins, 2 draws, 0 losses.

Roster: Jesus Aldrete, Lorenzo Carillo, Fidencio Castillas, Edwin Cubero, Guillermo Del Valle, Moises Estrada, Juan Gomez, Reymondo Gonzales, Luis Heredia, Edmundo Manzotti, Alberto Medina, Jose Mercado, Rodrigo Noriega, Juan Novo, Javier Novello, Antonio Ramos.

5/31/50  Atlas 3, Los Angeles B Stars 1 (at Los Angeles, CA)
6/4/50   Atlas 6, Manchester United 6 (at Los Angeles, CA)
6/8/50   Atlas 1, Vancouver Stars 1 (at Vancouver, BC)
6/10/50  Atlas 4, Vancouver Stars 3 (at Vancouver, BC)
6/18/50  Atlas 6, San Francisco Stars 3 (at San Francisco, CA)

Jonkopping F.C. (Sweden) June 9, 1950 through July 4, 1950. Results: 6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses.

Roster: Fred Anderson, Kurt Backstrom, Goran Berg, Gota Brink, Allan Broling, Bo Carlsson, Ivar Eidefjall, Ollie Friedan, Birger Gustavsson, Goto Lindstrand, Une Ljus, Rune Persson, Arne Selemasson, Carl Simonsson, Karl Sjostrand, Gote Stahl, Kurt Svenson. Manager: Karl Stahl.

6/9/50   Jonkopping 0, Manchester United 4 (at Polo Grounds, NYC)
6/11/50  Jonkopping 5, American League Stars 3 (at Kearny, NJ)
6/14/50  Jonkopping 7, Pittsburgh Stars 3 (at Pittsburgh, PA)
6/17/50  Jonkopping 4, Chicago Stars 1 (at Chicago, IL)
6/18/50  Jonkopping 9, St. Louis Stars 5 (at St. Louis, MO)
6/19/50  Jonkopping 3, Manchester United 1 (at Chicago, IL)
6/28/50  Jonkopping 1, All-England 7 (at Montreal, Que.)
6/30/50  Jonkopping 1, National League Stars 3 (at Toronto, Ont)
7/2/50   Jonkopping 3, Lusitano 3 (at Ludlow, MA)
7/4/50   Jonkopping 4, German-American League Stars 2 (at New York City, NY)

English FA XI May 20 1950 through June 21, 1950. Results: 10 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses.

Roster: Frank Bowyer (Stoke City), Bill Ellerington (Southampton), Reg Flewin (Portsmouth), Jimmy Hagen (Sheffield United), Johnny Hancocks (Wolverhampton), Hanson (Bolton Wanderers), Harry Johnston (Blackpool), Nat Lofthouse (Bolton Wanderers), Les Medley (Tottenham), Stan Milburn (Chesterfield), Bert Mosley (Derby County), Stanley Matthews (Blackpool), Eddie Russell (Wolverhampton), Jackie Sewell (Notts County), Jim Taylor (Fulham), Charlie Vaughan (Charlton Athletic), Eddie Wainwright (Everton), Tim Ward (Derby County).

5/20/50  FA XI 7, Montreal All-Stars 0 (at Montreal, Que.)
5/24/50  FA XI 4, Toronto All-Stars 1 (at Toronto, Ont)
5/27/50  FA XI 19, Saskatoon All-Stars 1 (at Saskatoon, Sask)
5/30/50  FA XI 4, Vancouver All-Stars 4 (at Vancouver, BC)
6/1/50   FA XI 3, Victoria All-Stars 2 (at Victoria, BC)
6/3/50   FA XI 7, Vancouver All-Stars 1 (at Vancouver, BC)
6/7/50   FA XI 9, Calgary All-Stars 0 (at Calgary, Alb)
6/?/50   Blue Team 9, White Team 3 (at Winnipeg, Man.)
6/14/50  FA XI 4, Manchester United 2 (at Toronto, Ont)
6/17/50  FA XI 9, Windsor All-Stars 2 (at Windsor, Ont)
6/18/50  FA XI 1, U.S. All-stars 0 (at Randalls Island, NYC)
6/21/50  FA XI 7, Jonkopping (Sweden) 1 (at Montreal, Que)

The College Game

In the second Soccer Bowl, held in St. Louis in December 1950, Penn State defeated Purdue 3-1. (USF was invited, but was unable to make the trip.) But the ISFAA declared West Chester’s 8-0-0 squad the national champion despite the Soccer Bowl result and much to the dissatisfaction of Penn State and USF.

1950 College Conference Champions:

Soccer Bowl, 1950: Penn State Penn State defeated Purdue 3-1
Intercollegiate Soccer Football Association (ICFA): West Chester State

California Intercollegiate Soccer Conference: San Francisco
New England Intercollegiate Soccer League: Yale
Eastern Intercollegiate Soccer League: Army
Metropolitan Intercollegiate Soccer Conference: Brooklyn
Mason-Dixon Conference: Baltimore
Middle Atlantic States Athletic Conference: Haverford

College All-American Squad, 1950:

Goal               Theodore Bondi, Brockport
Right Fullback     Richard Multhorpe, Brockport
Left Fullback      Jackson Hall, Dartmouth
Right Halfback     James Hannah, Seton Hall
Center Halfback    William Sheppell, Seton Hall
Left Halfback      Ralph Stern, West Chester
Outside Right      George Andreadis, Brooklyn
Inside Right       Harry Little, Penn State
Center Forward     Derl Derr, Cornell
Inside Left        Gustavo Gomez, Rennselaer
Outside Left       Louis Dollarton, West Chester

US Soccer Hall of Fame

In 1950, the Philadelphia Old-Timers Association established a “Hall of Fame” as a way to recognize the best players, coaches, administrators and referees in American soccer. Initially, this Hall existed only on paper; although individuals were recognized and inducted, it was to be some years before a physical museum would be established. But this was a start; the Hall received USSF sanctioning almost immediately, and in a few years, the USSF would formally take over operation of the Hall. The initial induction class, as expected, was a large one, as the most significant players and administrators over the past 80 years were recognized.

Inductees - Players:

Ferguson, Jock
Gonsalves, Billy
Govier, Sheldon
Lang, Millard
Millar, Robert
Ratican, Harry
Spalding, Dick
Stark, Archie
Wilson, Peter 

Inductees - Builders:
Brock, John
Brown, Andrew
Cahill, Thomas
Kempton, Barney
Lewis, Horace E.
Manning, Randolph
Stewart, Douglas

Awards & Cups

1950 US Open Cup Final: St. Louis Simpkins-Ford defeated Fall River Ponta Delgada 2-0 on 4/22 and drew 1-1 on May 7, winning the Open Cup on goals aggregate.

1950 National Amateur Cup Final: Fall River Ponta Delgada lost to Pittsburgh Harmarville 0-1 on 5/15 and defeated them 4-1 on 5/21 to win on goals aggregate.

National Junior Cup: Harrison (NJ) Boys Club